Saturday, October 17, 2009

Learning something every Plein Air Session


Today I spent my morning at the Raven Glen Forest Preserve in Antioch, IL. It was a beautiful day and I am so happy that the weather cleared up for our plein air group meeting.

I took many photos of the area for later reference and after having a difficult session out there in the cold crisp morning I realized that taking a "cheap" paper to work on was not a good idea. The water was saturating the surface and making it warp out so bad that I was having a hard time getting the painting to look like anything. Then I tried a few smaller pieces with no luck and tore them up. Lastly, I folded the cheap paper and mounted it to my board and used very little water. It worked but my painting was not what I wanted in the sense of depth and color darkness, so it was a good lesson for me today.


After going home and sorting through the 75 pictures I shot, I ended up painting this scene on some good Arches 300 lb paper 12 x 16 size. I call it "Light from the east".

No comments:

Post a Comment