Saturday, February 7, 2009

Got up and went right to the easel




I can't help myself! It's Saturday and it's my day off and all I want to do is my art. I tried a structural painting yesterday, but I am chucking that one. I will try it again to see if I can achieve a better effect. Until then, this landscape was something I thought would be pleasing.




Chris Tanner, plein air leader and vice president of the Lake County Art League gave me some good advice regarding my compositions. He said "Deb --- Your painting capture the viewer's attention with the wonderful color, but now you want to hold the viewer's attention with composition. That means directing their eye through the painting with carefully staged patterns, lines, details, contrasts, focal points or any other trick you become comfortable with. Look at artist's work you really like and figure out how they did it. It's a big step, but fun. The next step is actually engaging the viewer to get something of you and your feelings across." Good point Chris, Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment